Search This Blog

Monday, February 4, 2013

Injury Report, et al.

Greetings and salutations!

Ok, here's the deal.  I've been shelved for a bit.  Readers of this blog (and those that know me closely) know that I sprained my ankle on December 13th.  Well, I've always been a bit stubborn when it comes to that sort of thing and didn't go to the doctor and didn't give it the rest it needed.  I continued to play basketball, occasionally run, do the elliptical and XBox Kinect.  When the swelling had not gone down to my satisfaction after 6 weeks, I went to the doctor who has now told me no running until I am 2 weeks post no swelling.  Now I really don't have much, but I figure I best lay off for at least this week.  I had been having trouble going down stairs, and I don't need this problem to get worse.  The part that upsets me the most is that the Illinois half is less than 90 days away and I don't even have a real base built up at this time.  I'm actually sitting here right now with some fairly debilitating back pain.  If I sit too long, I have real trouble walking, so I've been trying to get up and be mobile every 5-10 minutes.  I think I am going to go track down some Ibuprofen.  My self-written training program called for P90X chest and back today and a four mile fartlek tomorrow.  I know the run isn't happening, and I'm not so sure about the P90X.  Kids broke the handles on my resistance bands.  >:(  I'll see what the evening brings.  I think I should lay off the XBox as it seems to make my ankle tight.  It's too cold (for me) to bike, so my options are dwindling.

In other news, I have lost 2.5 pounds during January.  This is far behind my goal, but at least it is something.  I also seem to have lost an inch off of my waist.  I gave blood on Saturday and they measured my resting HR at 52.  I was surprised at that number as I had drank 4 cups of coffee and did a low impact workout (elliptical) that morning.  I think in the interim, before I can hit the pavement again, I really need to work on portion control.  I struggle with that as let's face it, I like to eat.

I am still hoping to do the Lake Sara Dam Run - which is an 8 miler on April 6th.  I'd like to do a race on 3/23 as well, if for nothing else it is my birthday and it would be cool to have a race shirt with my birthday on it.  If you know of a good race on the 23rd, shoot me a note.  I don't want to do a trail race at this time - leastwise, not the "toughest 10K on the planet", which is how the Mountain Goat describes their race, I believe.

Well, it is time for me to fly - run happy and safe my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment