Search This Blog

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Running in the snow is fun! Running on Ice, is not.


After the run to the right...

Before the run below...



2 mph wind? My asterisk! I knew it would be slick with the ice underneath and the snow on top but I didn't know how slick. I wiped out before reaching my driveway, walking through my ice-packed snow covered yard! My wife is/was pretty irked at me for going, but I was determined. I made a mental note last night driving home as to where the ice was gone so I thought I could go a little faster there. Apparently my memory is faulty as I'd say all but .25 mile of what I ran was ice covered. It all had 1.5 inches (at least) of freshly fallen snow on it. I did slip once while running but never hit the ground. I failed at the elusive negative split, but I was able to keep it under 10 mm. I "ran" the first mile, took a little walk break and headed back. I took another, much shorter, walk break after about 1/2 mile. After finishing mile two I just jogged it on in. I did feel a little winded at the start and I'm not happy about that. I definitely need to up my cardio. I will do something tomorrow a.m. before church. We'll see if the roads are any clearer if I'll run outside, treadmill or elliptical. I hope to get to town later and donate some blood, but we'll have to see. My splits for this run were:
9:32 (155 cal)
9:36 (157 cal)
5:26 (73 cal)
Now, to go move some snow around...

No comments:

Post a Comment